Bonds of 10: Building
Develop the concept of related addition and subtraction equations, rearranged using the part-part-whole relationship, for two-part bonds of 10.
Click this link to read Teacher Notes for more information about “Building Equations Using Part-Part-Whole”.
- part-part-whole: where the two parts are a bond of the whole number.
- equals, is equal to
- addition, add
- subtraction, subtract, take away
A little easier
Use Bonds of 10: Equation Building a little easier activity board to scaffold building addition and subtraction equations for one bond of 10.
- Arrange each block, in the correct positions, on the rectangles of the first equation.
- Record these numbers using a dry erase marker.
- Repeat for each equation.
At the end of the activity discuss:
- The different position of the whole in addition equations compared to subtraction.
- How the blocks representing the parts swap positions with each other. The block representing the whole stays in the same position for each addition equation and each subtraction equation.
A little harder
Addition and subtraction equations don’t have to be written as
Part + Part = Whole
Whole – Part = Part
An alternative arrangement is
Whole = Part + Part
Part = Whole – Part
Read the Teacher Notes “Building Equations Using Part-Part-Whole” from page 8 onwards for more information about Atypical Arrangement using Part-Part-Whole
Apply the concept of building related addition and subtraction equations, using part-part-whole, to find missing parts in addition and subtraction equations. Go to
Bonds of 10: Missing Number Equations, Fill a Row