Building Understanding and Fluency in Addition and Subtraction with basic facts and beyond
What's the system suitable for?
Comprehensively teach every addition and subtraction content descriptor from Years 1 to 3. The Bond Blocks system has two uses:
- Mental Maths for Years 1 to 3
Linking part-part-whole understanding with basic addition and subtraction fact fluency and associated word problems.
- Maths Intervention for Years 1 to 6
Intervene early with young students to close the gap.
Help students move on from counting to add and subtract..
The Bond Block Test is used for placement and monitoring. Activities designed to support students with learning disabilities.
- Bond Blocks are not scored, with individual
unit lines. They are a representational
manipulative that supports students to
move from counting to calculating with
- The length of the block helps student
develop the concept of a mental number
- The natural wood colour of the sustainably-sourced New Zealand Pine reduces distraction of colourful plastic and focuses children on the written numbers.
- Ten is represented with two different blocks: Linear Ten and an Empty Ten Frame, similar to a ten strip and ten frame.
- They are a ratio of one unit : 2 cm making them easy to manipulate.
- They are self-checking, encouraging number sense and estimation.
There’s a lot you can do with just the Blocks themselves and the Bond Blocks Out of the Box book, but the activity boards (included in a school pack) let you do so much more.
Over 100 specific activities
Every activity is completed on one A3 board by an individual student or pair.
Complete one activity a week. All you need is 8 minutes, 3 times a week.
Every activity is:
- modelled in a short video. Consistent school wide teaching.
- ready-to-go with minimal equipment and setup.
- explained with specified mathematics and language.
- differentiated. A little easier or a little harder.
Teaching Modelled in Video
- Explicit teaching of the activity
- Demonstrating to teachers how to link the mathematical manipulative, the language and symbols
Differentiations – Done!
- Free downloads and website instructions to make the activity a little easier or harder
Activity Instructions, Assessments, Monitoring, Teacher Notes
Example of an activity video
Buy Bond Blocks
Bond Blocks is available in several configurations
Includes one set of Bond Blocks and the Bond Blocks Out of the Box starter book.
Suitable as an introduction to Bond Blocks for parents and teachers. All activities in the book can be completed with just one set of blocks.
Activities cover maths from beginning counting to addition and subtraction with two-digit numbers.
This kit can be used for Wave 2 and 3 Intervention with small groups. The activities systematically target every addition and subtraction content descriptor from the Year 1 to 3 curriculum.
Suitable for students from Year 1 to lower secondary who count to add or subtract and are not fluent with basic facts. Addition and subtraction concepts are taught explicitly. Includes missing number pre-algebra concepts and application to word problems.
Includes a colour-coded Placement Test, student goal setting and Excel whole school tracking tools.
Every activity is modelled in a short video and has its own webpage detailing related mathematical concepts, mathematical language and differentiation.
The Maths Intervention Kit contains materials to work with 4 students simultaneously.
Add on to your Maths Intervention kit with a one off (non-subscription) Whole School License to print every activity board from PDFs.
This means EVERY teacher can use Bond Blocks Activities with EVERY student in the school who needs it.
- Maths Intervention (Years 1 – 6)
- Mental Maths (Years 1 – 3)
Use the Maths Intervention activities in Years 1 to 3 as part of Mental Maths. All you need is 8 minutes, 3 times a week. Providing a robust, whole-school approach to teaching maths in the early years will reduce the number of students requiring intervention.
Send the activity boards home with students to practise and develop fluency. The website is publicly accessible so parents can view the instructional video for each activity.
Pair with additional sets of blocks and materials packs. Discounts apply for bulk orders.
Whether you’re a teacher or homeschooling parent you can be sure Bond Blocks will be an effective tool
Aims of the Bond Blocks System
Use Bond Block System to develop:
- Fluency with number bonds, leading to recall.
- Addition and subtraction to 20 and beyond.
- Robust understandings of addition and subtraction concepts, and relationships between them.
- Flexible, efficient calculating strategies.
- Number concepts including place value.
- Mathematical reasoning and problem solving.
Click to read the short 4 page Information Overview