Upcoming Bond Blocks PL Dates
Building Understanding and Fluency in Addition and Subtraction with basic facts and beyond
What's the system suitable for?
Bond Blocks is a comprehensive system for the teaching of basic addition and subtraction facts. The Bond Blocks system has two purposes:
- Mental Maths for Years 1 to 3
Linking part-part-whole understanding with basic addition and subtraction fact fluency and associated word problems.
- As a Intervention Support System for students in Years 3 – 6
For older students who count to add and subtract.
The Bond Block Test is used for placement and monitoring. Activities designed to support students with learning disabilities.
- The blocks are not scored, reducing the tendency to simply count.
- The natural wood colour of the sustainably-sourced New Zealand Pine reduces distraction of colourful plastic and focuses children on the numbers.
- Ten is represented with two different blocks: Linear Ten and an Empty Ten Frame, similar to a ten strip and ten frame.
- They are a ratio of one unit : 2 cm making them easy to manipulate.
- They are self-checking, encouraging number sense and estimation.
There’s a lot you can do with just the Blocks themselves and the Bond Blocks Out of the Box book, but the activity boards (included in a school pack) let you do so much more.
Over 100 specific activities
The activity boards pack comes with teacher notes and at least one video lesson for each and every activity.
- Ready-to-go and easy to use A3 boards with minimal equipment and setup
- Specifies use of mathematical language
- Streamlined learning and implementation so students get right to the maths
Teaching Modelled in Video
- Explicit teaching of the activity
- Demonstrating to teachers how to link the mathematical manipulative, the language and symbols
Differentiations – Done!
- Free downloads and website instructions to make the activity a little easier or harder
Activity Instructions, Assessments, Monitoring, Teacher Notes
Example of an activity video
Buy Bond Blocks
Bond Blocks is available in several configurations
Includes one set of Bond Blocks and the Bond Blocks Out of the Box starter book.
Suitable as an introduction to Bond Blocks for parents and teachers. All activities in the book can be completed with just one set of blocks.
Activities cover maths from beginning counting to addition and subtraction with two-digit numbers.
This kit can be used for Wave 2 and 3 Intervention with small groups. The activities systematically target every addition and subtraction content descriptor from the Year 1 to 3 curriculum.
Suitable for students from Year 2 to lower secondary who count to add or subtract and are not fluent with basic facts. Addition and subtraction concepts are taught explicitly. Includes missing number pre-algebra concepts and application to word problems.
Includes a colour-coded Placement Test, student goal setting and Excel whole school tracking tools.
Every activity is modelled in a short video and has its own webpage detailing related mathematical concepts, mathematical language and differentiation.
Kit contains materials to work with 4 students simultaneously.
Add on to your Intervention kit with a one off (non-subscription) license to print every activity board from PDFs.
This means EVERY teacher can use Bond Blocks Activities with EVERY student in the school who needs it.
- Mental Maths (Years 1 – 3)
Schools who purchase the whole school license can send the activity boards home with their students to practise and develop fluency. The website is open to the public so parents can view the instructional video for each activity.
Pair with additional sets of blocks and materials packs. Discounts apply for bulk orders.
- Based on research
- With extensive classroom trials and teacher feedback
- In partnership with Dr Paul Swan (www.drpaulswan.com.au)
Whether you’re a teacher or homeschooling parent you can be sure Bond Blocks will be an effective tool
Put Bond Blocks to Work
Feel free to explore the site. The majority of the support materials are available here for you to view, so you know exactly what quality support materials you get with the Bond Blocks System.
Aims of the Bond Blocks System
The Bond Block System targets:
- Fluency with number bonds, leading to recall, to add and subtract to 20.
- Robust understanding of addition and subtraction concepts, and relationships between them.
- Flexible, efficient calculating strategies.
- Number concepts including place value.
- Mathematical reasoning and problem solving.
- All students from Years 1 to 3, and older students who require extra support.
How it works
Read the short 4 page guide for more information on the pedagogical theory behind Bond Blocks